Thursday 7 July 2011

Buying


“The closest thing to a religious experience I have ever had”


Those were the words spoken by the shop assistant in Halfords, when asking what it was like to ride a road bike. They were also the words that convinced me to go for one over the hybrid I was supposed to be buying.


Just recently I passed my probation at my new work place., and Along with job security, this also entitled me to join the cycle to work scheme. Through this I could spend some decent money on a push bike, for what is probably going to be the one and only time in my life.


Those of you not in the know, the cycle to work scheme lets you purchase a bike through your employer and you rent it back off them for a year, through monthly wage sacrifices. After this year, the bike then becomes yours, and for a further year your tax code changes slightly. I think that's it, but my mind wasn't looking at the small print, my mind was just yelling “Free bike, free bike”

After doing loads of research on the subject, two conclusions were reached. Firstly, due to the bike mainly being used for the commute to work along the canal, I would best be getting a Hybrid. Secondly, I shouldn’t buy my bike from Halfords. The reason for this is unless you get a Boardman (the most expensive of there range) your bike is likely to fall apart, also I have read some horror stories about the staff. So when the memo arrived in my in-box at work informing us that we were only allowed to deal with Halfords I was somewhat deflated. But hay ho boardman did a hybrid I would just have to spend some more money and get that.


So I got in store, and as I approached the bike I was supposed to buy, my eye got caught by the white dropped handle bars of racer next to it, and my mind started to wander. Images of me climbing hills and hurtling down the other side filled my head. Riding along the coast, sea breeze in my face, hawk of gulls and pulling over to take in the vista. So when one of the shop assistances asked me if I could help. I instantly said “I want that one!!” and after a brief discussion (argument) with my partner, the bike had been ordered. And needless to say I was very excited about picking it up the following Saturday, and having my religious experience promised to me.


the excitement the following week was unbearable. The pump, lock and helmet I took home that day were constantly picked up and handled, and my enthusiasm could only be directed at my Partner Hazel.


“Look Hazel this pump has two settings, do you think that is because there are two types of valves for tyres?”


“Hazel! Are you sure this helmet looks good on me?”


At first she humoured me with faked interest, but this soon subsided and just told me to shut the hell up. Things got so bad she once found me sat I in the dark, testing the light on the keyring to the bike lock. I don’t think we will look back fondly to this week of anticipation, but it was a means to an end and the following Sunday I was on route to pick up my first new bike in 13 – 14 years.


But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment